Tizanidine Drug Overview
Tizanidine is a muscle relaxant that is often used to relieve muscle spasms, cramps, and tension caused by brain injury or damage sustained by the spinal cord, as well as diseases affecting the central nervous system and motor functions (such as multiple sclerosis). This medication provides short-term relief of most symptoms of spasticity - a condition that is described by elevated tone or "tightness" of skeletal muscles which causes them to become stiff and rigid, limiting performance and lowering coordination.
As with all muscle relaxants, Tizanidine does not actually treat the cause of the disease; it is frequently used to accommodate other means of treatment, such as physical therapy, and will not provide any lasting beneficial effects on its own. A single dose of Tizanidine will usually last from 3 to 5 hours, meaning that you will have to use this drug quite frequently, mostly during daytime when you have to perform the majority of activities. Note that whether you purchase this drug at a local pharmacy or buy Tizanidine, there are several different dosages and formulations available, and the initial dosage may be different in each patient's case. Tizanidine is tolerated well by most patients, and serious side effects to this drug are very rare.
Pharmaceutical Details for Tizanidine
Tizanidine belongs to the class of drugs known as alpha-2 adrenergic agonists - a very common type of medications in the muscle relaxants category. Tizanidine works systemically to affect the central nervous system by stimulating specific receptors in the organism, inhibiting the function of motor neurons. This results in reduction of the ability, intensity and rate at which muscles can contract, effectively causing various bodily muscles (skeletal muscles in particular) to relax and decrease inner tension. Naturally, the more the dose of Tizanidine a patient takes, the more the function of motor neurons will become impeded. It is important to always take only the designated amounts of this drug and never take a greater dose then intended.
When you refill your prescription or buy Tizanidine online, make sure you purchase the right dosage. If you are having persistent problems at a particular part of the body, which encourages you to take more Tizanidine than you usually do, you should instead contact your doctor and ask for instructions. An overdose with this drug can cause severe side effects and should be avoided.
For the purpose of treating muscle spasticity the most commonly prescribed dosage is:
- 4 mg of Tizanidine every 5-7 hours, not exceeding a total of 3 doses per 24 hour period.
This dosage is further adjusted based on several factors may be used to determine the appropriate amounts of Tizanidine to be taken.
Only a professional physician is able to comprehensively explain the details which are put into consideration, but the general indications usually include:
- Type and severity of your condition, whether it is chronic, temporary (short to long term), or acute;
- Response to the current treatment routine, both at the start and during the therapy;
- Surfacing of any side effects during the treatment, whether minor or major;
- Other medications you may be taking that could interact with Tizanidine;
- Medical conditions you may have that could influence the progress of treatment, such as kidney or liver disease, or low blood pressure.
Tizanidine Instructions and Precautions
Although Tizanidine is usually taken on as needed basis when you feel your condition worsening, it is important to remember several simple directions that will help minimize the potential risk of using this drug and to maximize the beneficial effects being provided:
- Tizanidine may cause drowsiness or dizziness in some people, as well as muscle weakness or lack of coordination which may result in injury or trauma if caution is not applied. It is recommended to abstain from performing any type of physical activity when you first start using Tizanidine to find out exactly how it will affect your condition.
- You should not take Tizanidine if you are allergic to it. If you have allergies to preservatives or dyes, it may be wise to ask the pharmacist present at the store where you buy Tizanidine online from for the complete list of components within this drug.
- Pill and capsule formulations of Tizanidine are not identical; you should not replace one with another in case you run out of your designated medication.
- You may take Tizanidine with or without food. However, know that taking it with food will affect the absorption rate, which by itself is not dangerous but requires the patient to continue to take this medication only with food.
- This medication is usually started at an initially low dose, steadily increased over time until desired results are met. When the therapy involving Tizanidine is no longer required, quitting this medication should be performed in the same fashion - by steadily reducing the amount of medication you take each day until you stop it completely.
Common Side Effects of Tizanidine
People using this drug may in certain circumstances produce adverse reactions that usually do not include serious side effects.
Naturally, not all people taking Tizanidine will produce these reactions, however you should still be cautious and try to notice any of the following side effects should they surface:
- Dizziness, muscle weakness, drowsiness, loss of balance or coordination;
- Depression, nervousness, hyperactivity;
- Vomiting, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea;
- Back pain.
The above reactions usually subside in a lapse of several days without any medical assistance.
However, if any of them persist for extended periods of time or any of the following more serious side effects present themselves, you should temporary suspend the treatment and seek advice from your medical healthcare provider:
- Extreme tiredness, fainting, unexplained exhaustion, lack of energy;
- Problems with concentration, apathy, loss of appetite;
- Unusual or unexpected bleeding or bruising of the skin;
- Dark brown urine, yellowing of the skin and/or eyes (jaundice);
- Visual or auditory hallucinations;
- Vision changes, blurring.
2. Order Tizanidine (Zanaflex) at Trust Pharmacy