Flexeril Drug Summary
Flexeril (generic name Cyclobenzaprine) is a frequently prescribed muscle relaxant for the cases of muscle injury, sprain, or strain. It is very effective in relieving tension, muscle spasms, stiffness and pain in and around the damaged muscle structure, without causing any pressure on the organism or the muscles themselves. The only major downside to this drug is that it can only be safely used for limited period of time - a maximum of 20 days in a row, after which the medication should be stopped to let the body recuperate. Usually this aspect does not pose much of a problem because the time which is needed for the organism to heal the injury, with or without other means of medical treatment, does not commonly exceed 3 weeks. Flexeril does not actually treat the muscle damage by itself; instead, in order to facilitate proper rest and/or physical therapy, it reduces the sensations of pain, stiffness and discomfort produced by damaged muscle tissue, allowing the person to comfortably perform day-to-day activities. Whether you choose to buy Flexeril online or purchase it from a local pharmacy, make sure you purchase the right formulation among the ones available. Although Flexeril is usually tolerated quite well by most patients, certain restrictions still apply to anyone who wishes to use it.
Flexeril Mechanism of Action
The actual pharmacological effect of cyclobenzaprine, the active ingredient in Flexeril, is not exactly known. After extensive study, the scientists have determined that this substance acts primarily in the brain stem, not in the spinal cord or the brain itself. Apparently, cyclobenzaprine affects the central nervous system to regulate the muscular motor functions without directly influencing the muscles. In a series of clinical studies, Flexeril was compared with diazepam (Valium) and placebo in the means of muscle spasm and localized pain relief, as well as effectiveness in preventing limitations of movability and daily activities. In three out of eight of these studies, Flexeril has shown greater improvement in comparison to diazepam, while in other studies the effects were found comparable in effectiveness. Additionally, because of the recent drug policy updates it has become possible to buy cyclobenzaprine online, making it more accessible in terms of both availability and price.
Commonly Prescribed Dosage of Flexeril
Usually, the initial dosage of Flexeril for most people consists of one 5mg pill, taken three times a day, increased to up to 10mg three times a day depending on the severity of the condition. Your doctor may instruct you to take reduced amounts of Flexeril if you are over 50 years of age or if you have problems with your liver or kidney function.
Additionally, you may need to take special considerations if you have any of the following conditions:
- Heart problems, such as congestive heart failure or irregular heart rhythm. Also, it may not be safe to take Flexeril if you have had a recent heart attack;
- Hyperthyroidism - an overactive thyroid gland;
Recommendations on Using Flexeril
Flexeril is usually considered to be a safe and easy to use drug, although certain simple recommendations are still advised to be followed in order to maximize the effectiveness of treatment and minimize potential risks:
- Flexeril can cause drowsiness, which may prove to be hazardous in certain conditions (such as driving or operating machinery). When you first start taking Flexeril, make sure you do not have to perform any task that requires focus and concentration, at least until you have gauged exactly how it influences your alertness and awereness.
- You may take Flexeril either with food or on an empty stomach, whichever is more preferable for you. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it during a meal to avoid this reaction.
- Do not take more Flexeril than prescribed by your doctor. If your current dosage does not relieve your symptoms, you should first contact your doctor and ask for instructions, especially if you are at the maximum 10mg per pill dosage already.
- It is not advised to take Flexeril if you are allergic to cyclobenzaprine or any other component within the drug. If you are unsure if your allergies will affect the treatment, you should consult your doctor or pharmacist before you buy cyclobenzaprine online. The pharmacist present at the store can show you the complete list of ingredients and determine if your allergies will prove to be dangerous.
- Keep in mind that Flexeril should be used in conjunction with other means of treatment, which would usually include bed rest and physical therapy. Your doctor may also advise additional medications or other forms of treatment if your condition demands such an approach.
Flexeril Important Safety Information
Although adverse reactions to this drug are rather infrequent, the patient still has to pay close attention to any changes in their health during the treatment.
Serious side effects to Flexeril are very rare, but the risk of developing the followinf minor responses proves to be quite considerable:
- Drowsiness, feeling tired or sleepy, lack of energy, fatigue;
- Dizziness, especially when quickly standing up from a sitting or lying position;
- Infrequent loss of balance or coordination;
- Dry mouth.
The mentioned symptoms usually subside during several days after first being encountered, for the exception of dry mouth - fluid retention and lack of saliva in the oral cavity. This symptom can persist for extended periods of time, lasting for the whole course of treatment for some patients. You may need to sip plain clean water frequently in order to compensate for the lack of fluid. In this case, smoking may worsen this symptom; as such it is recommended to at least reduce the amount of tobacco you smoke during the treatment. Additionally, when you purchase this drug (whether at a local store or if you buy Flexeril online) you may want to also get sugarless chewing gum or hard candy to facilitate saliva secretion. The clerk present at the store will be able to recommend several appropriate products.
If any of the other symptoms persist or worsen for extended periods of time, or if any of the following more serious side effects become present, you should temporary suspend the treatment and seek professional medical advice:
- Skin rash or hives that gradually worsen over time;
- Irregular heart rate, rapid increase in blood pressure, chest pain;
- Worsening of muscle spasm intensity, seizures;
- Fever, flu-like symptoms.